Ha! Two posts in one day, what do you have to say about that?
I've been spending my Saturday prepping for little Deaver. I wouldn't say I'm nesting quite yet, more just organizing and trying to make space. I am however, making lots of mental notes of all of the things I will need to scrub and sterilize when I get to that point.
I thought I should put up a post about my pregnancy, I don't think I've shared that much other than a few aches and pains.
Billy and I found out that we were pregnant on March 21st. We knew something was up when I had stayed up late waiting for him on St. Patrick's day to share a cocktail, and when he arrived home alcohol just did not sound good. So we had agreed to wait until the weekend, then take a test. Billy had to leave early that Saturday morning to work a big event at the stadium, and curiosity got the best of me, so I took the test. When I got the positive result, I couldn't wait to tell him and I knew he was really busy, so at the time it seemed like a really good idea to send him a text message simply stating "I got a positive!". In hindsight, maybe it wasn't the best way...he still won't let me live my text message down.
We held our breath for the next few weeks. Our amazing doctor had confirmed the positive, but we had to wait for an ultrasound. When we went in and heard the heartbeat for the first time, I laughed uncontrollably. I have a tendency to laugh at the wrong times, a.k.a. the "church giggles". Anyhow, we just felt so incredibly relieved afterward.
For the first few months (actually, for the first two trimesters), I had almost no symptoms to speak of. Only the occasional bout of nausea, which would come on around 10 a.m. and last about 10 minutes. The first time (out of only three total) that I had real, honest-to-goodness morning sickness was about 13 weeks in. Unfortunately it happened in my office, projectile-style all over my keyboard and chair. I was actually laughing and excited, this was the first real physical sign that I had had to prove that I really was pregnant.
Billy spent the first trimester saying "I want it to get bigger" over and over, referring to my stomach. It seemed like forever, but right around 14 weeks a little gut developed.
I still felt really good throughout the 2nd trimester, only a couple of complaints. First, I began needing to take multiple trips to the bathroom throughout the night. Second, it became a lot more difficult to get comfortable in bed (thank you body pillow for saving me). But the worst was that my hips and shoulders started to ache, albeit only briefly in the mornings.
Now here I am in the third trimester. I'm still not sick of being pregnant. Apparently around this time I'm supposed to start just wanting this baby out? Not yet, but it could be coming...
My stomach is now officially really big. I'm still feeling relatively normal and good. I'm not sure how I got so lucky? I had one bout of heartburn about a month ago, but nothing like I've read about. Believe it or not, my biggest issue is still my hips. They ache and just don't seem to work right after I sit or lay down on a soft surface for too long. When I get up from bed I have to support myself on any available object to get from point A to point B. It feels like I have to spend 10 minutes each morning learning to walk all over again.
By far the best thing about pregnancy has been feeling the baby kick and move around. I started feeling little flutters around 20-21 weeks and more distinguished kicks at 23 weeks. Each time is a little reminder that everything is okay. Occasionally I have to wonder just what kind of party he's throwing in there...sometimes there's some crazy stuff that goes on! Just in the past week my belly has started to temporarily have corners; he'll stick a foot or elbow or whatever it is straight out and just keep it there for a few minutes. I never expected the way that his movements would feel or look like from the outside!
I haven't really had any crazy cravings. I'd like to think it's because I've been trying to eat well and often. I eat more vegetables in a day now that I used to in a week. I am trying really hard to get my leafy greens in too. I'm not much of a salad fan so I've been bringing a bag of mixed greens to work and shoving them all into my mouth as quickly as possible to get them down. It seems to do the trick. If I have had any cravings along the way, they've probably been milk, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, risotto and chocolate.
I think that brings us up to date. Billy and I start up childbirth classes on Wednesday night and are just hoping to be prepared for the big day and all that will follow. Our due date is November 13th and the doc said she won't let us wait any longer than November 20th (no Thanksgiving baby like I was hoping), so that leaves us with about 8 weeks to go (if not sooner). I know this time is going to fly by so maybe it is time to start nesting...
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
so sweet Kate. Isn't it crazy the way they move around in there?! O used to stick his little bum out on one side. oh man, I miss having a baby belly!
ReplyDeletexo
Yeah yeah! love this post, such a good summary of the whole pregnancy! Go baby D!
ReplyDelete